In the year of 1926, some of the outstanding citizens of the section of Seat Pleasant, Maryland call Fairmount Heights, the same location that was later to become a town, conceived the idea of establishing an order of Free Ancient and Accepted Lodge of Masons. The following are but a few names of its chartered members: 

  • Andrews Knox
  • H. I. Brooks
  • Phillip T. Johnson
  • Ulysses McCall
  • Petro J. Atwood

These brothers with others in attendance decided to ask for a dispensation from the Grand Master of Mason. Upon making such a request which was approved, these brothers started forth with and did establish Fairmount Lodge No. 92.  The first Worshipful Master was Andrews Knox. A short time afterward, under the leadership of WM Knox, Fairmount Lodge No. 92 purchased a parcel of land within the Township of Fairmount Heights located at 60th Place and Addison Chapel Road.

  • Andrews Knox
  • John Richardson
  • Ulysses McCall
  • H. I. Brooks
  • Sherman Gardener
  • Alfred D. McMillian 
  • I. Henry 
  • Petro J. Atwood 
  • George Henderson 
  • George A. Patterson 
  • Joseph Brooks 
  • Phillip T. Johnson 
  • Edward Patterson 
  • Winter Marv   
  • P. F. Brooks
  • W.A. Jones
  • John H. Wood
  • James A. Campbell
  • Horace Johnson
  • Clarence Brown
  • Joseph Jones

Not long after the establishment of the Lodge, a depression hit the country at large. During the depression, Fair-mount Lodge No. 92 lost its property for having failed to pay taxes and other assessments. Time became so hard that many of its members were unable to meet their financial commitments to the Lodge and their family at the same time. For this reason the membership of the Lodge decreased. The remaining loyal and courageous brothers finding that they were unable to pay rent and meet the terms levied by the Grand Lodge called a meeting to map out a plan of action. It was decided to ask Grand Master Willard Allen for a special dispensation to hold meeting outside of the Town Hall. This conference was under the leadership of Worshipful Master James A. Campbell. Others in attendance were Ulysses McCall, William McDowell, Petro J. Atwood, Sherman Gardener, John Rich-ardson and J. Oliver Hill.

At this time, these members constituted approximately two-thirds of the total membership of the Lodge. Grand Master Allen granted the request and Fairmount Lodge No. 92 moved to the Hill Building. The first order of business was the election of officers – Brother William McDowell was elected Worshipful Master. WM McDowell appointed a special committee of two – Brother Ulysses McCall and Brother J. Oliver Hill – to study the general affairs of the Lodge. The Committee contacted the County Commissioners who were holders of the property and were successful in regaining title rights in the names of the Lodge. Heat and water were now added to the property.

Shortly thereafter, Brother J. Oliver Hill was elected Worshipful Master. At this time, the Lodge under WM Hill’s administration conceived the idea of building a Temple. Brother Petro Atwood was so elated on hearing of the idea to erect a Temple that he purchase 400 cinder blocks as a starter for the project and presented the 400 cinder blocks to the Lodge. WM Hill called upon Brother McCall to perform a special task of getting priority from the United States Government giving the Lodge the rights to erect a Temple during the pre-war years. Brother McCall tireless efforts to gain permission to build the Temple were denied by government officials, as the building was not essential to the war. When Brother McCall reported his findings to the Lodge, the decision was made that the Lodge, though highly loyal to its beloved country, must and would erect its Temple. This being a daring act Worship Master Hill named himself Ex-officio Chairman and not long afterward Fairmount Lodge was erected. The Lodge, being not boastful in their own strength but being rather desirous of giving gratitude to God, the Giver of all good things. Who blessed them to achieve a large measure of well being and happiness moved their meeting place from the Hill Building to their new Temple. This meeting was one of thanksgiving to God. Brother Roland White was elected Worshipful Master.

From this point on, many improvements were made under the leadership of Worshipful Master Roland White. Many new members were added and the first steps were taken towards the liquidation of the $40,000.00 mortgage which had been incurred during the administration of PM J. Oliver Hill for partial construction of the Temple.

Our next elected Worshipful Master James C. Walker continues the growth of the Lodge membership and the reduction of the mortgage and improvements to the Temple.

Worshipful Master Charles Thompson succeeded our next Worshipful Master James Taylor in office. During his administration, a heating plant was installed, membership increased and reduction of the mortgage continued.  Our next Worshipful Master was Harry Ross. WM Ross early task was the installation of a modern and more efficient heating plant. Being unsatisfied with the mortgage balance he conceived a strong and concerted effort to liquidate the same. The membership responded wholeheartly to his request and the dream of the Worshipful Master Ross, and through the good grace of God Fairmount Lodge was free from all liens and encumbrances.

Under the leadership of numerous Worshipful Masters since Worshipful Master Andrew Knox – 1927, Fairmount Lodge No. 92 has undergone many changes from major renovations of the Masonic Hall to the making the final payment of its outstanding renovation loan to the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Maryland and its Jurisdiction during the Masonic Year of 1998-1999 under the leadership of Worshipful Master Ernest L. Gooding. Fairmount Lodge No 92 is again free from all liens and encumbrances.